Power Generator Recommendation

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Tector,

My first thought is that this rates right up there with running a generator in the garage. Just not a good idea. NONETHELESS, there is a certain curiosity and a certain attractiveness to the idea.

Without seeing it, I would guess the atrium is close to 8X8 or maybe 6X6. The question is how are you going to get power into the town house? If you run a power cord through the slider, you leave it open for CO gas to enter the house. You could possibly tape the opening left by the power cable closed from top to bottom of the slider. But, exhaust fumes are notorious for penetrating into living spaces. If you want to experiment, I would suggest trying to run the generator during the day when there is power and you do not need the generator. Turn off the A/C because that tends to create a positive pressure situation inside the house which may tend to inhibit infiltration of CO and exhaust fumes. If one is awake and alert, one of the first signs of CO poisoning is headache and dizziness. Get outside immediately and all is well. Fresh air is an antidote for CO. I wouldn't try it even during the day without a CO alarm. Make sure to have an alarm upstairs, warm air rises. If you can run it eight hours and the house doesn't smell of exhaust fumes and the alarms don't go off you are probably ok. Worst that can happen is that you decide that plan doesn't work. Or, that in spite of the possible success, you still aren't comfortable going to sleep with the machine running so close to the house.

The machine in an area that big with even minimal updraft and air circulation will probably function just fine.

So now that you have opened the dialog, and some fool was crazy enough to encourage you, let us know what happens. P.S. My own generator sits 20 feet from the house chained to a tree.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Running a generator in any enclosed space is a very bad idea. If any part of those straps get loose, or dryer vent breaks you'll fill that space with carbon monoxide and it will definitely get into your house. I was servicing a generator at a house in Fort Lauderdale in a picket on picket fenced in area that was about 10 by 10. The exhaust had a hole in it but was wrapped so you couldn't see it. In less than 10 minutes, the area was filled with carbon monoxide and I started getting light-headed and dizzy.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

My grandpa dies of CO poisoning in his home. A water heater in the kitchen caught fire and grandpa just fell asleep in the next room. I would not risk it...
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I tried running my old Troy-Bilt in my 10'X12' screened porch and running the cord into the house when I lived in Rockledge.

I ended up taking it out the back door into the yard.

The exhaust doesn't dissipate like you would think.

Too much coming out and not enough blowing away.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I run one of those $16 box fans off the generator while it running to help cool the motor and blow away and lingering exhaust, cheap insurance it doesn't over heat
tector

Post by tector »

Sounds like I should punt on the atrium. As I said, really not trying to reenact some of the early SS special action squads.

I appreciate the detailed reasoning here. Thanks for taking the time guys.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

rug357 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm Yes, you can use dryer duct to the exhaust pipe and then out to a PVC pipe which must be 3' higher than the wall.
Think like you are in stalling a wood burning stove in your house and how you would install the chimney. I would install CO alarm inside the house and maybe even one outside.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Mine just came in.

Its about 25% smaller than the Troy-Bilt with the same output.

I'll fire it up tomorrow and do a range report..
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

I have a similar model coming in, except gasoline only not dual fuel. Often these cheap(er) generators are quite noisy. My friend rebuilt an old one, then threaded the end of the muffler and attached a 2nd muffler, which he said made it a good bit quieter. If my Sportsman 4kw is noisy as I suspect, I'll try doing the same.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I just fired mine up. (finally.)

I wouldn't want to be in a tent with it running 5' away, but inside the Winnebago its not that bad at all.

That's what I bought it for in the first place, so I'm happy. :D

EDIT: I plugged in and tried all the outlets and they all work.

I seem to be a little light on wattage though.

It'll run the AC and the frige at the same time, but the oven and the microwave cause the AC to sag out, so I'll have to do a little creative juggling of things when dinner time comes around.

Still, for $269.00 I'm happy!