Need help changing rear sprocket on my dirt bike

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Gunnyhiway wrote:I did 99% of my motocross starts in 2nd gear.
My MAICO is a 4 speed. Slipping the clutch is nothing to worry about as long as you don't "ride" it meaning keeping it partially pulled or slipping it every gear change.
Those bikes can take a real ass kickin before they fail.
Treat her good and you will be rewarded with many hours of great memories.

One other thing about the months it takes to get use to a different bike as posted.
I'm no pro rider by any stretch however there were times I went to the track to race in a series with my top end blueprinted and ported differently along with rear and front suspension changes. I took maybe 6 laps in practice to adjust myself to the different feel, also one time my regular race bike crapped out the main bearing at the start when the gate dropped at the MX track in Dade City.
I leaned her up on the fence, ran back to my pit area and jumped on my 1973 Husqvarna CR 450 in that moto and placed a respectable 8 overall out of 15 riders. I got a 1st in the first moto that night so I still got points. The Husky is completely different than a MAICO.
If you have experience and years of riding and racing I think you can ride any bike pretty good after a few laps.
That's my opinion at least. :mrgreen:
I have about 5 years and maybe 15K miles worth of bike experience spread evenly between a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and CBR600RR so by no means am I an experienced rider. I’ve been off a motorcycle for the last 3 years until I got my son his Tao DB14 and few weeks later the Yamaha WR250F. I doubt I have 5 hours of riding on those two as of tonight :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I understand so just take it slow.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
photohause

Post by photohause »

What everyone is saying 2nd gear! Just like bump starting a bike or a car 2nd gear!

If you can lift and hump that baby, you just need a left handed brick stretcher.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

armedpolak wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:02 pm Btw is it ok to start riding from 2nd or 3rd gear? If I’m not slipping the clutch for too long?
Modern bikes use a "wet clutch" that is designed to be slipped under load and high rpm. okay... except for some BMW's that still use a dry clutch. The oil reduces wear to the friction plates, as long as the oil itself is still good. It doesn't hurt a thing, to start off in second gear.

3rd gear starts? It shouldn't hurt the clutch, but I wouldn't expect it to contribute much to the learning experience. That's well outside the power/control envelope that you're trying to get used to.

Generally, when someone replaces their clutch, it's because the spring(s) needed adjustment/shimmed. Most riders end up replacing perfectly good friction plates with new friction plates. I've never had to replace the friction plates on any of my bikes. Even the bike that I rode 285,000 miles, still had the original friction plates in it, when I sold it.
Hippie

Post by Hippie »

armedpolak wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 am Anyone? Please
I can change it for you. I’m in Broward. Rear is easier to change than the front.

I was going to suggest the throttle tamer too. When I first got the YZ250F the initial throttle input was so touchy that I got a lot of jerky motion at low speeds/rolling through the pits. Used the throttle tamer for a while then went back to stock as I got accustomed to that bike. I have the tamer just sitting in the tool box.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Hippie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:37 pm
armedpolak wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 am Anyone? Please
I can change it for you. I’m in Broward. Rear is easier to change than the front.

I was going to suggest the throttle tamer too. When I first got the YZ250F the initial throttle input was so touchy that I got a lot of jerky motion at low speeds/rolling through the pits. Used the throttle tamer for a while then went back to stock as I got accustomed to that bike. I have the tamer just sitting in the tool box.
PM sent :)