Anyone remember Gunsmoke Enterprises?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

When I hear this sort of story (similar things have occurred in various business sectors since like forever), I always wonder what the back story was.

Drugs? Crazy poontang? Uncontrollable quest for wealth at all costs? Mental issues? Terminal illness (Walter White syndrome)?

I just don't understand what drives someone to throw away a perfectly good honest business model by cheating customers, selling inferior/dangerous products, and breaking federal laws
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Casual

Post by Casual »

Having bought nfa stuff and over a dozen lowers from him, i forget the story.. whats the word on that?
George W

Post by George W »

flcracker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am When I hear this sort of story (similar things have occurred in various business sectors since like forever), I always wonder what the back story was.

Drugs? Crazy poontang? Uncontrollable quest for wealth at all costs? Mental issues? Terminal illness (Walter White syndrome)?

I just don't understand what drives someone to throw away a perfectly good honest business model by cheating customers, selling inferior/dangerous products, and breaking federal laws
In the case of Jon and Anvil Arms, it was drugs. My recollection is that he was stealing patient's meds while working as a nurse.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Casual wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm Having bought nfa stuff and over a dozen lowers from him, i forget the story.. whats the word on that?
Out of spec parts and (allegedly) illegal lightning links and the like.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

George wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm
In the case of Jon and Anvil Arms, it was drugs. My recollection is that he was stealing patient's meds while working as a nurse.
Started with mismanagement of his business. Despite the AR boom of the time, somehow he went in over his head financially. When he lost his business (he did not go quietly, and he screwed many people over), he went to nursing, and then yes, he stole some drugs. Now he's a convicted felon doing who-knows-what.
Casual

Post by Casual »

It was my understanding that basic AR parts he was using mostly YHM., though i did have an issue with 1 giving a birst and the hammer following the bolt forward, he replace everything no questions asked...

And at the time, mid 2000s his "built" ARs we 1400$ oy vey!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

that Gb seller does break ups and close outs for various PD's, they are a good seller to watch, years ago they auctioned off a bunch of Romy AK's and Colt SBR 14.5's that came back from Afghanistan, that were being used by contractors and what not, there was a buzz about the legality of being re-imported and what not, but they all had some super cool battle field pick up wear and tear on them and IIRC all went for top price once the story hit arfcom and the files forums.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Ah yes, Gunsmoke and their "all the parts are mil spec...what difference does it make?"

But there was a never ending line of "He they got "[insert brand name here] ARs for $80 lower than anyone else...I'm buying from this guy" customers who can't figure out what is wrong with this picture.

Also had some very questionable AK builds and I saw him really F over a couple factory HKs.

I used to spend probably two hours at every guns show explaining "the military never adopted an AR-15 rifle, they adopted the M-16 so there is no military specification for a semi auto AR-15. It's a bullshit industry term and everyone has their own spec, this was in the days before the chart."

I think he used Model 1 Sales parts exclusively. But if you buy a Colt rifle at a very favorable price and the same dealer has plastic bins full of "new Colt parts" then you should probably pay closer attention.

There were a few real slime dealers at those shows.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

flcracker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am When I hear this sort of story (similar things have occurred in various business sectors since like forever), I always wonder what the back story was.

Honestly? Catering to the unrealistic expectations of some gun show buyers who expect brand new factory ARs at 20% below the current dealer price.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

SteyrAUG wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 pm Honestly? Catering to the unrealistic expectations of some gun show buyers who expect brand new factory ARs at 20% below the current dealer price.
Who feel they don’t have to pay sales tax. GARY