Another Stand Your Ground Shooting Rejected

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I wouldn't' convict him. The guy didn't stop after he drew his gun.

I know what the law says, I don't agree with it.

If as thief you continue after you've been threatened with deadly force, then it's your own fault if you end up with a bullet in you.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I don't agree with speeding laws, I still have to pay the tax man if I get caught breaking them.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Skoll wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:10 pm I don't agree with speeding laws, I still have to pay the tax man if I get caught breaking them.
You don't get to go in front of a jury for a speeding ticket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

You do go in front of a jury for flat out murdering a man though, regardless of what laws you pick and choose to "believe" in.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Skoll wrote:You do go in front of a jury for flat out murdering a man though, regardless of what laws you pick and choose to "believe" in.
Does this apply to armed government agents?
https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/us/polic ... index.html
Allme

Post by Allme »

dammitgriff wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm
Skoll wrote:You do go in front of a jury for flat out murdering a man though, regardless of what laws you pick and choose to "believe" in.

They have the magical badges and costumes that grants them special privilege not to mention the police union that pays for the best defense possible.
Allme

Post by Allme »

jjk308 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am
Gmountain wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm An d the more this kind of crap goes on, the more likely it is that SYG will get changed.
IMHO it is evidence that the law is working as advertised. The Leftist firearms phobics who are against it lie continuously, especially when they publish statistics. They never bother to account for the time before SYG when aggressive prosecutors would regularly hold useless, expensive trials and get a jury decision of Not Guilty because of self defense, or the loss to society of the innocent who accept plea bargains or are convicted because they can't afford a decent lawyer.
Spot on.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I'm sorry, I fail to see how the disproportionate preferential treatment cops get in the legal system have anything to do with a store owner that shot someone who wasn't threatening him or a danger, in cold blood. Try again, please.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

And, you forgot the 5 yard holding penalty. That grip on the shirt did him in as far as a murder charge.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Skoll wrote:
I'm sorry, I fail to see how the disproportionate preferential treatment cops get in the legal system have anything to do with a store owner that shot someone who wasn't threatening him or a danger, in cold blood. Try again, please.
If the store owner was a cop, a member of the protected class, he’d be 50% less liable to see a jury, statistically speaking, for this crime. They get away with murder as a matter of routine.
The store owner in question is a regular knot-head and not an armed agent of the state, therefore facing the full force of the law.
There exists two levels of law and justice in this country, and unless you’re a g-man, you’re just fodder for the judicial system.