UPDATE: FIXED - Bersa 380 Thunder Plus bad jam: Need gunsmith SWFL

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

this might save you a few bucks because its exactly what a gunsmith is gonna do

take a dow rod, old cleaning rod, or chopstick and while pulling back on your slide, hammer rod or stick backwards
I can do it one handed, usually, meaning without assistance, you might wanna hold the gun and have someone else hit it.....note I had to hold the camera and couldn't hold the hammer at the same time....lol
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Spoke with a guy who's in the business. He's basically suggesting what you're suggesting - but going the other way. He had the exact same issue with the same gun. He used a rubber mallet, pointed the gun towards the ground and struck the back of the slide. The decocker blocked the pin from engaging the round.

I'll give this a try this afternoon and report back.
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Was Going to recommend the same thing Rentprop1 just did, but better it come from a professional gun enthusiast than an amateur like me ... I'd be curious to see if it works ...
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Just FYI ... Found out recently that Sid is now working at the Guns & training center ( big camo building ) in WPB, okeechobee Blvd, Parker Blvd near the railroad tracks, going to order a new trigger mechanism for my Glock 42 and have Sid install it ..got a lot of confidence in his work ....

Peace and tranquility
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

tcpip95 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 pm Spoke with a guy who's in the business. He's basically suggesting what you're suggesting - but going the other way. He had the exact same issue with the same gun. He used a rubber mallet, pointed the gun towards the ground and struck the back of the slide. The decocker blocked the pin from engaging the round.

caution Will Rogers...that should be a last resort, you might further complicate a problem by forcing the case into the chamber ....EJECT...EJECT...EJECT
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm
tcpip95 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 pm Spoke with a guy who's in the business. He's basically suggesting what you're suggesting - but going the other way. He had the exact same issue with the same gun. He used a rubber mallet, pointed the gun towards the ground and struck the back of the slide. The decocker blocked the pin from engaging the round.

caution Will Rogers...that should be a last resort, you might further complicate a problem by forcing the case into the chamber ....EJECT...EJECT...EJECT
Yeah, that went over like a fart in a church. I tried to move it back like you suggested - no dice. I tried to move it forward - no dice.

I've asked around over here, and there doesn't appear to be anybody good. Got a couple of names, and the bad reviews were as many as the good reviews. I may have to drive across and see Syd.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Just spoke with Bob over at Shoot Straight in Ft. Lauderdale. He said bring the gun over and he'll work on it while I wait so I won't have to make two trips.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

UPDATE: well, in under 2 minutes Bob at Shoot Straight fixed it. Don't know exactly how he did it (he took it behind the curtain and closed the door), but he got the bad round out, cleaned it up, inspected it, then shot one magazine to make sure all was well.

Very good guy, fixed it while I waited, and only charged me $35. My guess is he knows his stuff quite well. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
tector

Post by tector »

tcpip95 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:16 pm UPDATE: well, in under 2 minutes Bob at Shoot Straight fixed it. Don't know exactly how he did it (he took it behind the curtain and closed the door), but he got the bad round out, cleaned it up, inspected it, then shot one magazine to make sure all was well.

Very good guy, fixed it while I waited, and only charged me $35. My guess is he knows his stuff quite well. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
I used him recently for a trigger job on a J Frame I bought my wife. Handled it quickly, did a great job.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I’ve known Bob since the early 80’s. He’s especially talented with S&W semi 39’s, 59’s, & generations after that. He’s also the only Shoot Straight employee older than me. LOL. GARY.