The Changing Demographics and why Gun Owners are losing the Culture War

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

tector wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm Whenever I go to gun shows down here--MIA, WPB, FTL (R.I.P.)--I see a wide diversity of people. But of course gun shows are not representative of entire populations. But I know many people are open to gun rights. I mean, consider that Detroit church lady SD shooting I posted about. I am going to guess that both sides of that shoot were black, just because...Detroit. Yet wherever I saw that story on FB, I saw large numbers of blacks (including black women, especially) applauding the shooter. Good people of every color are tired of predatory criminals of every color.
And that is what many in the gun community and gun rights organizations fail to market towards.
My gun channel - New Wave Firearms
FL Director & National Spokeman for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA at discount
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Miami_JBT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm
zeebaron wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:15 pm
flcracker wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 pm If FSN wants to move into the 21st century of gun ownership, we need to be serious about our own diversity/respect/inclusiveness. "Dint do nuttin" and other thinly-veiled anti-minority posts are the shovels by which we are digging our own graves, IMHO.
This place is already on borrowed because nobody really uses the forum format anymore to express ideas online. We're mostly holdouts from the original version of the Internet. Restricting speech, however terrible it might seem, isn't going to gain new members...just cause more to forget about this place.
Forums are actually amazing popular due to the repository of information. Most other social media is fluid and things are lost. Forums are cataloged and easily accessible for new members. There is an explosion of forums for various topics and subcultures.
I've consistently seen decline in participation ever since Facebook took off. Enough to write a research paper on it if I wanted to.
tector

Post by tector »

FB tamped down a lot of forums of all kinds. However, given that FB is beginning more and more to enforce liberal dogma as TOS, that may be ripe for a reversal on some subjects--like guns.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
dieselbeef

Post by dieselbeef »

how many of you guys actively have emailed any govt official about your position on gun control? I don't recall seeing anyone from here meet me at the pro second amendment rally is Sarasota....both times....

time is coming..its easy to get off yer ass when ya want something..but being complacent about what you already have is the frog in a pot of water....by the time you get off yer ass its too late
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

dieselbeef wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 pm how many of you guys actively have emailed any govt official about your position on gun control? I don't recall seeing anyone from here meet me at the pro second amendment rally is Sarasota....both times....

time is coming..its easy to get off yer ass when ya want something..but being complacent about what you already have is the frog in a pot of water....by the time you get off yer ass its too late
LOL... been doing it for a while....

I've even trolled David Hogg.

My gun channel - New Wave Firearms
FL Director & National Spokeman for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA at discount
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

zeebaron wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:15 pm
flcracker wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 pm If FSN wants to move into the 21st century of gun ownership, we need to be serious about our own diversity/respect/inclusiveness. "Dint do nuttin" and other thinly-veiled anti-minority posts are the shovels by which we are digging our own graves, IMHO.
This place is already on borrowed because nobody really uses the forum format anymore to express ideas online. We're mostly holdouts from the original version of the Internet. Restricting speech, however terrible it might seem, isn't going to gain new members...just cause more to forget about this place.
yep, you can basically make comments on Instagram and FB and blast whoever you want, the thin skinned will always fight back, that is, until the OP deletes the comments...but you can't do that on a forum only mods can censor .....and just like IG and FB, people will only follow who the want to hear from, internet forums are the last line where people can speak some peace, you don't have to like it, but you can read it until deleted...lol :mrgreen:
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Facebook, Twitter, ig, and others I think are downturning.
They had their peak, as usual they have blown it. They went to the left extremes and tried pushing agendas that way. They got caught.

Forums are also seeing downturns. But for different reasons. Someone mentioned how a lot of social media is basically an echo chamber where they are safe to post amongst their own. That is also one of the reasons they are starting the descent, that and the Kardashians.

So take notes and learn. Want this forum to stick around and grow? Better learn fast.
Taco

Post by Taco »

flcracker wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 pm
need to drop the Old White Man image
FSN is one of the bastions of this. We have consistently made women, blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, gays, and other minorities feel unwelcome here. If someone indicates that they are offended by something posted here, the standard reaction from the person who posted the possibly offensive content is to get all defensive, claim that they didn't mean anything bad by it, and blame the offended party for being too thin-skinned and not being able to take a joke.

If FSN wants to move into the 21st century of gun ownership, we need to be serious about our own diversity/respect/inclusiveness. "Dint do nuttin" and other thinly-veiled anti-minority posts are the shovels by which we are digging our own graves, IMHO.
Last time I posted something like this it went over like a fun of bricks... I think I ended up being called a racist and snowflake in the same post... Hopefully the message is better received the more people hear it; the problem isn't getting better on its own.
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

Miami_JBT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm
As a Hispanic I personally don't see any Pro Second Amendment work being directed towards the Spanish speaking communities. I have never seen an ad or article written in Spanish. I don't see or hear commercials broadcasted in Spanish. I don't see public outreaches into the Spanish speaking communities by gun rights organizations.
As an American, nothing should be in Spanish. The "Spanish speaking communities" need to learn English and conduct business in English, and red the Declaration of Independence in English and the Constitution in English.

Fracturing the country into separate groups is what hurts the gun cause. We need common touchstones to function as a country, and it starts with speaking English.

Sorry, but that's how it is.
tector

Post by tector »

Every politician and major political cause advertises in Spanish when there is an election--every single one. That is the real world. Liberal, conservative--doesn't matter.

Ever heard the phrase "pick your battles"?
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”