Beware--USPS Informed DElivery

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

GunsandHoses wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:48 am This is a great service......for someone (gubment) that's to know who MIGHT have guns...get Bass Pro ads? Might have a gun! Bought anything from ANY outdoor or gun related site and get an ad/Guns and Ammo (or any other mag) subscription? You MOST LIKELY have a gun! NRA membership? You DEFINITELY have a gun! So do t worry about "registering" those puppies.....they (and now we know anyone else) ALREADY KNOW you have them! Scary!
"Mail Isolation Control and Tracking (MICT) is an imaging system employed by the United States Postal Service (USPS) that takes photographs of the exterior of every piece of mail that is processed in the United States.[1] The Postmaster General has stated that the system is primarily used for mail sorting,[2] though it also enables the USPS to retroactively track mail correspondence at the request of law enforcement.[2] It was created in the aftermath of the 2001 anthrax attacks that killed five people, including two postal workers.[2][3] The automated mail tracking program was created so that the Postal Service could more easily track hazardous substances and keep people safe, according to U.S. Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe.[2]

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) revealed MICT on June 7, 2013, when discussing the Bureau's investigation of ricin-laced letters sent to U.S. President Barack Obama and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.[1] The FBI stated in a criminal complaint that the program was used to narrow its investigation to Shannon Richardson.[4] U.S. Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe confirmed in an interview with the Associated Press the existence of this program on August 2, 2013.[2][3][5]

In confirming the existence of MICT, Donahoe told the Associated Press that the USPS does not maintain a massive centralized database of the letter images. He said that the images are taken at more than 200 mail processing centers around the country, and that each scanning machine at the processing centers only keeps images of the letters it scans. He also stated the images are retained for a week to 30 days and then destroyed.[2][3]

Computer security and information privacy expert Bruce Schneier compared MICT to the mass surveillance of the National Security Agency (NSA), revealed in June 2013 by Edward Snowden. Schneier said, "Basically, [the USPS is] doing the same thing as the [NSA] programs, collecting the information on the outside of your mail, the metadata, if you will, of names, addresses, return addresses and postmark locations, which gives the government a pretty good map of your contacts, even if they aren't reading the contents."[1]

James J. Wedick, a former FBI agent, said of MICT, "It's a treasure trove of information. Looking at just the outside of letters and other mail, I can see who you bank with, who you communicate with — all kinds of useful information that gives investigators leads that they can then follow up on with a subpoena."[1] He also said the program "can be easily abused because it's so easy to use, and you don't have to go through a judge to get the information. You just fill out a form."[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Isol ... d_Tracking
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Question....say once you do sign-up can anyone still sign-up using your addr. Or is it locked in with your info at that point where no one else can sign-up with your addr. :?:
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
photohause

Post by photohause »

Thanks for posting this.
Wow, that's a lot of film!
I'm waiting for Rent to chime in...this is too easy for him
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

So Rent, best beware that Big Brother, the Deep State, is watching all the Prom being delivered! :lol:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

i've used Informed Delivery for almost two years now and
it works great. all my important and personal accounts use
paperless billing and bank emails account statements so
i'm not worried.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

We use Informed Delivery mostly because lots of times we are missing checks, bills, etc. & the post office isn't very helpful about finding anything for us. I was just sent a new credit card but never got it - called the cc company& they said they said it was delivered. So I was able to flag the item on Informed Delivery as missing & have them send me another new card with a new acct. number.
I don't worry about someone else getting my delivery info because where I live has community mail boxes where each one is locked & no one else has a key.

Info & signup for Informed Delivery is here: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/p ... art.action
"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The USPS is $4 billion dollars in debt and counting. They need to declare bankruptcy and close their doors permanently instead of finding new ways to spend more taxpayer dollars.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Didn't realize in today's age that people still opt for snail mail.
They can have all the pics they want of the bed bath and beyond coupons and packets of advertiser coupons they want.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Chigger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm Didn't realize in today's age that people still opt for snail mail.
They can have all the pics they want of the bed bath and beyond coupons and packets of advertiser coupons they want.
Well, the only real consequence of this is that Amazon still utilizes USPS heavily for some shipments. That's the area of concern. Hopefully, the ammo manufacturers will use UPS and Fedex.

We'll see.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm
Chigger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm Didn't realize in today's age that people still opt for snail mail.
Well, the only real consequence of this is that Amazon still utilizes USPS heavily for some shipments. That's the area of concern. Hopefully, the ammo manufacturers will use UPS and Fedex.

We'll see.
I predicted 3 years ago, before they actually started, that within 5 years Amazon would have their own delivery service everywhere in the country. It's the only thing that makes economic sense long term.

First class package rate is going up by a bunch come January 27th and will now be priced by the zone. That's a big jump for businesses who send a lot of parts out.

https://blog.stamps.com/2018/10/19/usps ... y-27-2019/