The hidden danger in the Federal bump stock ban

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

The hidden danger in the Federal bump stock ban

Post by tector »

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/trumps ... z5aTtVd0ze

Excerpt:

For decades, rights advocates have argued that conversion of a semi-automatic into a full-automatic, is a complicated and challenging process requiring specialized skills and equipment. Though there have been various workaround techniques demonstrated, such as the infamous, full-auto shoestring, and the time-honored, file-down-the-disconnector trick, there has never been an easy way to truly convert a semi-automatic into a machine gun. This new regulation changes that.

Whether you agree with the BATFE's new definitions or not, once this goes into effect, under the color of law, it will be a straightforward thing to technically “convert” any semi-auto into a “machine gun.” And that creates some severe issues because the law also defines “machine gun” to include “any weapon” that can be “readily restored to shoot” more than one shot with a single function of the trigger.

It is also long-established law, that “readily restored” actually means “easily converted” to fire full-auto, such as the KG-9 pistol, which was classified as a machine gun because it fired from an open bolt, and could be relatively easily converted to full-auto by filing off the secondary sear.

By legally defining “bump-stock-type devices” as “machine guns” that can convert semi-automatic guns into “machine guns,” then by these same definitions, any semi-automatic rifle becomes a “machine gun” because they can all be “readily restored” to be “machine guns.”

Post by frenchkat »

No more work than a drop-in auto sear or adding M2 parts in an M1 carbine.

Hasn’t changed the weapons status.
Taco

Post by Taco »

The fact that the ATF has the power to define and redefine the term (and thereby increase the scope of) automatic weapon is quite disturbing. Perhaps the next change is anything demonstrably or cosmetically similar to an automatic weapon. What about anything that uses cartridges...? Why stop there- really anything can be an automatic weapon if you are the one who gets to write the definition.
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

These are just steps for the future. Guns will be gone before 2100. Didn't New Jersey write a law about magazines and exempted cops off duty? Seems like the magic pen can do anything...
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Taco wrote:The fact that the ATF has the power to define and redefine the term (and thereby increase the scope of) automatic weapon is quite disturbing. Perhaps the next change is anything demonstrably or cosmetically similar to an automatic weapon. What about anything that uses cartridges...? Why stop there- really anything can be an automatic weapon if you are the one who gets to write the definition.
Great comment.
Here we have the core danger of allowing government to run anything and everything.
R/Griff
Ben V.

Post by Ben V. »

i have a stupid theory for you all to consider.

what about car motors? they explode too. each cylinder exploded and returns to battery just like a firearm. i know it sounds ridiculous, but think about it for a minute.

there is a way to throw this shit back in their faces down the road.
photohause

Post by photohause »

^^^ Creative thinking....I like it. Think outside the bolt.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

This isn't hidden... The agenda for disarming americans has been obvious for quite some time now. They are moving forward incrementally, towards disarming all citizens of "The Land of Liberty." It's going to happen and we all know it. As more people give up their guns, less will be said in defense of groups that refuse and get exterminated by the feds.

Old age will take me before they get around to grabbing my guns, but some of you younger folks might as well get ready to start making your own rifles and powder.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

I was trying to warn you guys before the forum crash. Everybody's attitude was "I dont care I think bumpstocks are stupid. Well give them those and get national carry.".

How'd that work out for you?