Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Clyde621 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:32 pm With that kind of behavior it looks like someone made the proper call on him. I'm sorry that this happened but in reality he made his choice, probably knowing what would happen.

that's hard to say given the circumstances, how would you or most
people react when someone starts beating on your front door at 5am,
then you discover it's the cops and out of nowhere they tell you they
are there to confiscate all your guns. i'm guessing most people would
be blindsided, confused, angry, and probably behave badly !
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 am
Clyde621 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:32 pm With that kind of behavior it looks like someone made the proper call on him. I'm sorry that this happened but in reality he made his choice, probably knowing what would happen.

I have a lawyer on my contact list. 8-)
I would probably sue everyone involved in trying to take my guns away.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That's the good sounding response but, if my understanding of that law is correct, there is no such recourse in the stupid law here in FL. I'm no attorney but, I'd like to see one of our resident attorneys here read it and decipher the twists for us. Funny, I know the Uniform Commercial Code inside out and it was perfectly understandable. Why do they make some of the oppressive laws so convoluted as to require cryptanalysis. Yeah, dumb question, just being facetious. Example? The form requires the court be notified if any actions are pending. But, in the next paragraph, the court is not required to take it into consideration. (specifically stated).

I agree with you on the banging part. Things are not like they are on paper, and I'm sure the officers were quite belligerent about it, too. Given the common practice of yelling "Stop resisting!" even then the arrestee isn't, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine the "Irate" part is exaggerated. Maryland officers in general are quite snotty: sure, can't state regarding the individuals but, the percentages are another contributing factor.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

jjk308 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 am
Slartibartfast wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 am

I have a lawyer on my contact list. 8-)
I would probably sue everyone involved in trying to take my guns away.
I wasn't aware of a 5am knock. However you make my point of his irrational behavior.
I agree with you that some cops can amp up the situation with a pi-s poor attitude.(seen it happen and wanted to bitch slap the officer after the call). Any one who has all of their faculties will "not" pick up a dropped weapon and point it towards a police officer.