The Ultra-Compact SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead 9mm

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

The Ultra-Compact SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead 9mm

Post by lakelandman »

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2019/01/07 ... 0Guvrzjops

When SIG Sauer first unveiled the MPX a few years ago, everyone in the gun world did a double-take. Here was a truly next-gen submachine gun that allowed you to switch barrels and configurations, and SIG quickly followed up with semi-auto versions. Consider it a beautiful sendoff to the HK MP5.

Sig Sauer MCX Rattler Pistols muscle car lead
RELATED STORY
How 2 Muscle Car-Inspired Sig Sauer MCX Rattler Pistols Came to Life

The MPX’s groundbreaking modularity led to other successful platforms, like SIG’s MCX and P320 series. And then you had other MPX variants, including the MPX-K, the shortest of the bunch like the hallowed MP5K. Until now.

Enter the SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead
Another entry in the manufacturer’s “snake” series behind the MCX Rattler, the new SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead is exceptionally compact with a height of 8 inches and an overall length of just 14.5 inches! That’s incredible. What’s more, this 4.5-pound stunner is configured as a pistol, so just about everyone can get their hands on this covert powerhouse. The nitrided, 3.5-inch barrel has a unique integral flash suppressor. Meanwhile, the upper receiver is one monolithic design with a short forend area and a built-in hand stop.

At the rear you’ll find a stabilizing brace that rides on two rails and allows for two positions: Fully extended or fully retracted. Either way, when you’re firing this thing, you’ll naturally snug up on it, with your support hand wrapped around the magazine well. You’ll also find ambidextrous controls, a very cool PDW pistol grip and a polished single-stage trigger, all left black to contrast with the receivers and brace.

And what a contrast! The upper and lower receivers both sport a copper-like Cerakote E190 finish that closely matches the color of the arm brace. Along with increasing the pistol’s durability and corrosion resistance, the finish helps the MPX Copperhead stand out — or blend in — depending on your environment. It’s a really nice touch.

SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead Testing
I was lucky to get my hands on a prototype at the 2018 Athlon Outdoors Rendezvous in Montana this October. With a SIG ROMEO4T red-dot sight mounted on the top rail, it was hard to miss steel targets at 25 and 50 yards. After a brief learning curve, the Copperhead’s speed became apparent. This thing turns on a dime, like it was born for quick transitions between targets.

Stay tuned for future coverage on the MPX Copperhead. SIG says it expects shipping to begin in January. For more information, keep your eyes on SigSauer.com.

SIG Sauer MPX Copperhead Specs
Caliber: 9mm
Barrel: 3.5 inches
OA Length: 14.5 inches
Weight: 4.5 pounds (empty)
Grip: Polymer
Sights: None
Action: Piston-operated semi-auto
Finish: Cerakote
Capacity: 20+1
MSRP: $1,835
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My own personal thoughts. Seems to be a collective effort in the industry to see who can come up w the shortest barrels. I find this counter productive. Shorter barrels like this have terrible ballistic performance. Also your getting to the point where there’s a good chance you’ll probably shoot your self in the hand w the barrel being so damn short. Short isn’t always better 🤷🏼‍♂️
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

A full auto sub gun is one thing. After that it just becomes another expensive oversized semi auto pistol.
What’s more, this 4.5-pound stunner is configured as a pistol, so just about everyone can get their hands on this covert powerhouse
Covert powerhouse?

Their Madison Avenue used car salesman reps are working overtime to come up with that one.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

I'd be worried I'd shoot a finger off?
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I can speak with a little knowledge on this being the owner of a SMG Sig MPX, obsessed with the MPX since its importation, I picked up one of the Gen 1 almost as soon as it came out, and did the FA conversion immediately, hoping to demo it for LE, being an FFL/SOT, we cut the barrel back from the original 8 inches to 4.5 and threaded it, so we could attach a short can....SiCo Omega 9K now lives on it.

Biggest mistake EVER....
so how frickin short , you wanna go ?? I wish I had never done it, there are no more Gen 1, 8inch barrels left, as Sig abandoned the Gen 1 MPX platform, as soon as they announced the Gen 2 ( which the 40/.357 Sig cal conversion was a flop too )
the ideal distance from your shoulder to the trigger with a subgun is usually 9 to 12 inches, so the length is something that you really can't change up much, shortening the barrel isn't the answer...
although accuracy wasn't effected, but its nearly impossible to hold onto the gun like that ( see pic ), especially when hot, its not any smaller for wielding down a hallway, and all you can really do is store it in a smaller bag.
Since the PDW weapons made it into the limelight, the quest to be the shortest has risen, but at no benefit.
so does it look cool, because thats about all you get from being short
Greg

Post by Greg »

I agree w the length. Built a 9 inch 300 Blackout upper recently and I’ve found it to be o so right length wise. But you shorten that thing up any more and it becomes unnatural to hold.

FSN Member Since 2009
Allme

Post by Allme »

With all the bump stock nonsense going on how long does any of you think it will be before they start on these braces?
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

I really liked my MPX with the BFS trigger in it. It worked great. I bought a 4.5 in ILWT barrel. I still have my 8 in barrel. I also bought a 4 in rail. So I can switch back and forth between the 8 in and 4.5 in setup.

I run it sometimes with the 8 in rail and 4.5 in barrel with the suppressor on it. Suppressor fits inside the rail. That way I have full use of the 8 in rail.

I like the HYBID with a 3 lug because it's a fatter suppressor and looks better. Also got a ton of the gen 1 20 and 30 rd mags when they were dirt cheap 12.00 to 19.00 each which work perfect mines a gen 2. I did a ramp job on mine

Thanks again rent for all your help

RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Greg

Post by Greg »

Allme wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:55 pm With all the bump stock nonsense going on how long does any of you think it will be before they start on these braces?
Probably not too long at all if you start bringing it up 🤷🏼‍♂️

FSN Member Since 2009
Greg

Post by Greg »

A handstop is a must w these shorties. So easy to shoot your own hand

FSN Member Since 2009