Just A Blip...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Just A Blip...

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Stories like these are merely a blip on the media radar. "Why does ANYONE need a gun? The police do a good job of protecting us!" Blah, blah, blah... :roll:

Palm Beach County News

No charges filed against father accused of killing carjacker

No charges will be filed against the victim who reportedly shot and killed a carjacker in Lake Park, WPEC-CBS12 reports.

The father had picked up his 12-year-old son last Friday, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said. He parked the vehicle on the edge of the curb, leaving it running with his 5-year-old daughter in the backseat.

He was going to quickly pick up his son and return to the car when 22-year-old Terrence Wilson Junior opened the driver side door, got in and attempted to drive away, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The victim yelled at Wilson to stop. As Wilson tried to drive away, the victim shot and killed Wilson in fear of his daughter’s safety. He immediately opened the passenger side door, checking for his daughter’s safety and steered the car to its final rest.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm- ... story.html
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Terrence won't be doing THAT (or any other crime for that matter ) again!
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

FWIW, I wouldn't leave my 4 year old in a running vehicle, unattended, regardless as to how "quick" I think I'd be running an errand.

Two lessons to be learned from this I guess.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

NorincoKid wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 am FWIW, I wouldn't leave my 4 year old in a running vehicle, unattended, regardless as to how "quick" I think I'd be running an errand.
True. The guy is an idiot. Many bad things could've happened.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Referring to leaving a kid in a running vehicle...
This illustrates the point that even though doing something is legal, it doesn’t make it a good idea.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

NorincoKid wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 am FWIW, I wouldn't leave my 4 year old in a running vehicle, unattended, regardless as to how "quick" I think I'd be running an errand.
I wouldn’t leave any car running, let alone with the key in it. That’s just plain stupid. The insurance company will not reimburse you for damages, & you could be held responsible should the thief kill somebody with your car. Think slip, & fall lawyer. GARY.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

dammitgriff wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 am Referring to leaving a kid in a running vehicle...
This illustrates the point that even though doing something is legal, it doesn’t make it a good idea.
It's not legal in FL to leave a child unattended and/or unattended running vehicle.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote:
dammitgriff wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 am Referring to leaving a kid in a running vehicle...
It's not legal in FL to leave a child unattended and/or unattended running vehicle.
That depends, actually, on the age of the child:
“Florida law states that children under six should never be left in a motor vehicle for longer than 15 minutes. Furthermore, children under six should not be left in a vehicle for any period of time if the motor is running, the health of the child is in danger or if the child appears to be in distress. A violation of this law is a second degree misdemeanor and can result in a fine of up to $500. If a child is injured, the violation becomes a third degree felony.”
https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/ch ... ay-safety/
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

dammitgriff wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:23 pm
Tenzing_Norgay wrote:
That depends, actually, on the age of the child:
Yeah...right. I left the age limitation out for brevity and the fact that this child was 5. We're not in law class. ;)
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Got it. I knew there was an age cutoff but couldn’t remember what it was.
Just wondering now why the guy didn’t get his $500 ticket and a trip to court. It’s not like the state to pass up a revenue collection opportunity.