FL Property Taxes... How's this work?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

FL Property Taxes... How's this work?

Post by Taco »

I'm reading and reading and getting the same FAQ answers list that doesn't answer my questions...

For a primary residence it seems that you're capped at a 3% annual assessment increase... Great. My question is how can you ruin that, and when you do what happens- does it trigger a new baseline for the whole property, just a value for the papered thing, or does nothing at all happen?

Assuming all of the following get permits:
If you were to get a new roof?
If you get a new shed/building- does it matter if it's on a slab?
If you do an addition?

Edit: I think Volusia County answered my question:

What about any changes, additions or improvements to the homestead property?

New construction or additions shall be assessed at full market value as of the first January 1 after the changes are substantially completed. In these circumstances, it is possible that the assessed value may exceed the amendment limitations. However, after the first year that the changes are assessed at full market value, they are also subject to the amendment limitations.

For example, if a pool is added to a property, the value can increase no more than the cap rate, plus the value of the pool.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I just went through this with the blood suckers at Mosquito County. If you are not Disney, don't bother trying to fight it. They will just laugh you out of their hearing no matter what comps or other evidence you bring. They won't even look at it. Some "justice" eh?

All of what I state here assumes you have a Homestead. If not, bend over because they are going to shove it in hard and deep to ya! They figure if you don't have a Homestead, you are either rich and have multiple houses and need to pay up the @ss or you are a Yankee Libiturd and deserve to pay, which I would agree with if that was all it was.

If you do an addition, you MUST leave at least a minimum of one old wall from the old structure. If not, the entire property is assessed as a brand stinking new house.

The bloodsuckers will access an addition for what you paid to build it as documented in the permit. So if you have appliances, furniture, or other non-structural costs, they will just tax them unless you fight them. Good luck with fighting them. So make sure you make a side deal with the contractor that stuff like that goes off the books or you pay taxes for them forever long after they are off in the dump. If you can, have the contractor only charge you for a dried in exterior structure, and hire someone else to do all the interior drywall, plumbing, electrical, painting, AC etc without the friggin permits. Get your cost on the permit as low as possible.

My experience is that for new roofs, or replacement windows/doors,new or driveway, Mosquito County does not really hit you up for anything appreciable. Of course that was a few years ago.

So the lesson learned is try to do as much as you can possibly get away with without permits. The county is soooooo helpful. Between the HOA Nazis and the all the various Mosquito County organizations that have their hands out, it took us a YEAR to get permits. I should have told them that Uncle Joe is sending me a 10 families of immigrants with Covid. Then one call from Val scummy Demmings with the good word, and having a Biden Kommela flag on the flag poll instead of ole Glory and I would have gotten approvals in a half day instead of a year.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!