Video of firearm @ airport arrest

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wakko

Video of firearm @ airport arrest

Post by Wakko »

I had brought this up a while back about being careful about accidentally introducing a firearm to a checkpoint at an airport. If you have a CWL, and I hope that ALL of you do, it's not as significant as not having a CWL, but the TSA fines are still significant. Here's a video of a generic checkpoint arrest from Key West airport. Please be responsible, folks.

Casual

Post by Casual »

I find it kinda odd.. setting the airport security issue aside...

Carrying in luggage.... one with wheels and you pull behind you... vs... a backpack on your shoulder....

The "on or about your person " part of the statute the gun wasn't on him... nor was it in a fanny pack on him....

Other than optics... cwl shouldn't have been a factor here
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

The handgun was in his backpack (on or about his person), not in a piece of wheeled/rolling luggage.

Everything I read says that you may not carry a handgun in a backpack or purse in Florida unless you have a CWP. If he had left it in his carry-on suitcase instead of his backpack he would likely have only had to deal with TSA, not the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Allme

Post by Allme »

So is the airport responsible for passengers/guests on the walk up to the airport? Parking lot etc? Seems to me that anybody that gets robbed/murdered/raped due to this "law", they have to disarm because of it... Could hold the airport responsible or even the state. Its like an amusement park that doesn't allow firearms, they are 100% liable for your safety/security... Food for thought.

flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Concealed weapons are not allowed inside the passenger terminal AND the sterile area of any airport in Florida. The only way for this guy to have avoided trouble would have been for him to declare it in a checked bag.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Weird. There's no reaason you couldn't check a gun in a backpack, but if you didn't have a CCW, you couldn't even brng it onto the airport.

It must have more to do with the handgun being in a locked case.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Omg. The guy is Chatty Cathy. STFU.