Obviously, good luck to all affected

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Update on that mobile home park that was hit. It seems it was a large tornado and destroyed the park killing 5 and sending 20+ to the hospital,
I am sure we will learn more but my daughter lives across the canal in a typical home neighborhood and she said she has debris from different mobile homes on her yard and in her oak trees.
Fortunately her house was not damaged but she lost most of her many trees. She said it will take her 5 years to regrow things.
Palm Bay was often the bulls-eye (Moved north, lucky me) and south of here was out of the cone yet many areas like Wellington, Palm Beach Garden, Port ST Lucie and Ft Pierce had small areas of much more severe damage from the many tornadoes.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Went to Lowes this morning just to pick up a couple things. As I walked in the door, the return line was long and out the door. Most were people with carts holding generators they were returning...
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Flame Red wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm Most were people with carts holding generators they were returning...
Because one thing we know for sure is there will never be another storm requiring a generator
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Wulfmann wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:22 pm
Flame Red wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm Most were people with carts holding generators they were returning...
Because one thing we know for sure is there will never be another storm requiring a generator
Precisely. And, at least in my local area, we don't worry about power outages during the storm. All of our utilities are "underground" in my neighborhood.

What we worry about more are the "spot outages" that can occur as they try to rebuild the state grid.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Flame Red wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm Went to Lowes this morning just to pick up a couple things. As I walked in the door, the return line was long and out the door. Most were people with carts holding generators they were returning...
I didn’t think most stores will take back generators if bought before a hurricane. Seems kinda unfair to expect Lowe’s or Home Depot to rent out generators for free (assuming unused).
tector

Post by tector »

neverenoughguns wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:19 pm
Flame Red wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm Went to Lowes this morning just to pick up a couple things. As I walked in the door, the return line was long and out the door. Most were people with carts holding generators they were returning...
I didn’t think most stores will take back generators if bought before a hurricane. Seems kinda unfair to expect Lowe’s or Home Depot to rent out generators for free (assuming unused).
Shit like this just adds to overall market costs. I understanding people gaming the system if the system allows it, but there is never a "free" lunch--the cost just gets socialized to others.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I was surfing another web site I frequent, I ran across the ultimate in whole house generators! I gots to get me one of these babies! If I did my calculations correctly, I have 200 AMP service, so one of these babies will power up to five of my neighbor's houses at full tilt. Probably has enough for my Kommietard neighbors to recharge their Tesla's!

I bet these would cost less than what some of my libitard neighbors spent on their Generac's that can barely power up one of their refrigerators.

MEP-803A 10KW Slow Speed 1800RPM Military Diesel Generator, EMP Proof, Can Ship Nationwide $7000

Will run on OTR diesel, off road diesel, home heating oil, and B20. If you have a home heating oil tank, you have fuel when the trucks stop running or fuel is not available!

Slow speed 1800rpm design makes for significantly longer lifespans and reliability. The engine is a Lister-Petter LPW4 with an inline 4 design and cast iron block. Very rugged, very reliable. It only produces 70+ decibel at 20 feet... they are quiet runners! Only uses 1.1GPH @ 100% rated output.

All 10KW units (tan) have single digit hour meters! All gauges reading properly, and tested electronically for rated output. Additional photos available on specific machines by request. (1) MEP-802A 5-7KW unit available (camo). All machines come with (2) NEW batteries, as well as added rodent mesh at ingress points, any necessary military wiring upgrades (quad fuse modification) as well as a power entry port... so you can run a battery tender when the machine is not being used.

Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
George W

Post by George W »

Flame Red wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:05 am I was surfing another web site I frequent......
Pre-Helene, these were selling on GovPlanet for about $3500. The 10K for $2500, and the 5KW for about $1800. The latest auctions have them going for 2.5x these prices for the ones on Florida. I passed on a few when I knew I should have pulled the trigger on them for less than this in January when the market was saturated with them and the were cheap. All of the common sizes are great, but they are far from fuel efficient. They like fuel, but they turn slow and the fuel consumption doesn't change much at load. Also, the power on older military gensets isn't real clean, so if you're using one, put a UPS or at least a good surge protector in place before your electronics.

I'm still without power here. I'm running my larger Predator Inverter genset during the day on Propane, and my smaller Predator Inverter genset on gas at night. Judging by the devastation in my area, it's going to be at least another week before power is restored. I managed to pick up some more propane yesterday, so I *should* be good until then. On the way home I went my usual way home to avoid the stooped traffic on I4. I almost made a REALLY bad decision. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6MbHfq1t4LxjFdoa6
cj5mrt

Post by cj5mrt »

I bought our generator 2 years ago and never used it until Thursday. I will never be without one again. Just being able to have the refrigerator going was worth the price.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

The whole town lost power for two days. My generator was locked up in a storage unit- they cut access on Tuesday, and wasn't open until Saturday afternoon.

It was in the 70s at night. With 4 frozen jugs of water, I didn't lose any food in the refrigerator. I cooked on a gas grill. I ran my computer and phone on an inverter.

Most convenient power outage I've ever had. Even without the generator, I didn't miss electric at all. Never even ran out of hot water.